Sunday, February 20, 2011

Letter to my Cousin

I promised myself that after you died, i would REMIND every1 of who were so that your death wouldn't be in vain.  I miss you Cuzzo.... 
*I read this Letter to my cousin at her funeral*

The UnSpoken Effect of Domestic Violence:
The Loss of My Cousin, My Sister, My Friend –Nneka Talibah Sutton
By: Sade Uniqua Gilbert

November 23rd 1982 was when your mother had the strength to push you through
She didn’t know then that her baby girl, would tremendously affect this world.
See even though your life was cut short at the hands of someone who claimed love
You now will live on in the lives of those you touched and you can look on from above.
Nneka will see me walk across the stage at UNC-Ch; she will see her mother raise her kids with the same integrity and love that she was raised in.  She’ll see Maya get a diploma in June 2007, and even though in flesh she won’t be here she’ll meet us one day in heaven.
The news and the lawyers may say you died for a number of reasons, but I know the Lord took you, because it was the end of your season.
Even though God’s will is sometimes hard to digest, every woman and man should look at your life as a test.
It’s not a test with A’s, B's, C's, or D’s but a test of never accepting violence domestically.
I know you stayed because of the kids and you hoped things would get better
But seeing it now, I wish you would have left so I wouldn’t have to read this letter.
However, now I have to spread the word, since you are no longer here
Please, never turn your head to domestic violence, nor lend a deaf ear
I wouldn’t ever wish this on anybody’s daughter to have her lying here
I do however wish everyone your honor, strength, and beauty to weather life’s storms
Lord fill us with your joy to help us carry on.
Nneka you’ll never be replaced, we’ll never forget that smile on your face, and I pray for grace and peace to surround everyone in this place.
So that when we leave we never forget her story, and that we go out and teach the world that in all things God shall get the glory!



No comments:

Post a Comment