Friday, October 15, 2010

I'm just doing my job (ja-ah-ah-ah-ah-ob)

I think one of life's blessings is when you LOVE something and get paid WHILE you love it.  I've been working at the UNC Phon-a-thon for 6 years (I was a caller for 3 years and I'm currently a supervisor).  Working for a call center can be stressful, lots of goals to meet, money to raise, and worst of all RUDE ALUMNI! I could ramble on story after story of alumni who have cursed me out, lied and said they weren't home, and have moved out the country to avoid calls HOWEVER this blog is about those that say YES!
On Sept 27,2010 UNC had "STOP DAY" and it's the day that classes would END if we ONLY relied on state funds and tuition .... So from Sept 27th- Graduation we are running off 100% PRIVATE support. Who makes up this Private Support???? ALUMNI!
I've raised over $80,000 in the 6 years at the phon-a-thon and the most rewarding part of the job ISN'T the pay check (b/c we don't get paid off commission) BUT 
SEEING MY HARD WORK IN ACTION:
1) I went to my friend's White Coat Ceremony @ Memorial Hall and one of the sponsors was "The Medical Alumni Loyalty Fund" ... guess who calls those alumni to raise money for those events??? ME
2) Every time I see the P2P on campus .... guess who is funding the gas ??? The Parent's Fund
3) Students from low-income families get scholarships to come to UNC via Carolina Covenant ... who calls for that??? ME
4) Out of State Students w/ Scholarships ....who's funding that ... our Alumni
So you see it isn't the pay check BUT knowing that without my callers and myself some of the small things at the university would be cut.
As we all know, the country is in a recession and NO ONE has any money to spare.  But I ask of you (ESPECIALLY the Young Alumni and Current students) ... How many times do you go to McDonald's in a week? Meet with co-workers for drinks? Get your nails done? I'm not asking you to give $100 or even $50 but a $5 gift will go a LONG way! http://giving.unc.edu/  <<<< Go to this website and give $5 NOT for me BUT to fund the education of the generation coming behind us and to continue to uphold the institution that shaped us.
I Love My job and 1/2 of the reason you have your salary job OR are in a great grad school is b/c you went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill .... it's only right to give back to afford someone else those SAME opportunities!

6 comments:

  1. It is really rewarding and it feels great when people do give.

    I miss working at the P-thon! I hope yall can forgive me for quiting again :/

    -anonymous lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the phonathon. that is exactly why i have a love/hate relationship with that place... i remember when we called to raise money for the children's hospital. i couldn't help but feel like i was sharing my blessings :)

    love the blog. i'll keep checking it outttt <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE You. &
    I'm so PROUD of You.:) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, so I wanted to correct some factual information in this blog, hahaha. I know you have totally raised at least 300,000 dollars in your 6 yearrrrsss because I've been working for almost 2 and have raised almost 100,000... plus, I know you kill the goals every single time *jealoussss*
    Also...I've been trying to teach my dog how to flip...and have not really been succeeding...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sade you make me smile, your blogs are great, and YES, I will be giving back to UNC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanx Mom, Love u 2
    I Agree w/ u Anise
    LMBO @ Roommate Y .... can I show sum humility PLZ
    and Ms. Perry ... Thank You ma'am :)

    ReplyDelete