Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The College DropOut???

***before you read: to me a blog means honesty and I'm just going to give you all of me ... take it or leave it, 100% of me is what you're about to get***
When I came to Carolina expectation was brewing to say the least.  I was supposed to finish in 4 years then go on to law school and be the female version of Johnnie Cochran!!! However,  when I got here, the only lyrics I can think of to describe my experience is "Nobody told me, the road would be easy, and I DON'T BELIEVE He bought me this far to leave me". 

Freshman Year: First of all, let me say that academic integrity was NOT something I was used too.  I was 17 and I saw no problem with a little copy and paste here and there...UNC-Ch DID!  I copied a graph and used it in my philosophy paper and did not cite it. My Prof submitted me to Honor Court and i went on academic probation for a semester.  (which meant I took an F in the course) 

Soph. year: I was determined to change and be a better person and not let that incident define me as a student.  My fall semester was one of my best semester's here, I only took 12 hours though .... Spring 2007, my life would be changed forever. Feb of 2007 my cousin was killed by her husband and March of 2007 (2 weeks later) my great-grand mother passed away (2 weeks after that) I was hospitalized the day after Easter in April of 2007 for a suicide attempt.  I had to do a medical under load and only had 1 class.

Jr. year: I was now behind 18 hours and knew that graduation in May 2009 wasn't going to happen without a miracle. Fall was going well UNTIL I took a poli class and my teacher told us (verbally) we could use Wikipedia in lecture; so I did.  My TA submitted me to Honor Court.... here we go AGAIN!  This is when I found out there is NO JUSTICE at UNC-ch ... they have a catch 22 rule that says: if  you are penalized for said offence (plagiarism, violence, hazing) and get caught again for ANY offense, you will automatically be suspended for a YEAR!  My professor submitted a letter on MY behalf ASKING the court to grant the MOST leniency because it was miscommunication between the TA and professor.  However, because I had the previous record, the most lenient they could be was a 1 year suspension -_-.

Out of School: I was out of school for a year and a half, working 3 jobs trying to make ends meet and I had an outstanding balance of $3000 sumthin with the university.  I had to get a loan to cover that but ended up staying out another semester because of finances.

Welcome Back: I had to reapply and came back as of Fall 2009 (now 60 credits behind).  Worked my butt off with school and work and went to summer school.  My Uncle was killed in an accident and that kind of threw me off for awhile but I got back on track. 

Now: as of right now 33 credit hours stand between me and my bachelors of arts in political science from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill + I have a job lined up for after graduation :)

I said ALL that to say (and really i cut a lot out of the story lol), a lot of people judge me when they find out that I am STILL at Carolina BUT I always have to encourage myself and remember "the race is NOT given to the swift but to HE that ENDURES". I'm a FIGHTER and even after all of life's financial, family, emotional, etc trials/tribulations, I'm STILL STANDING!!!!
So for all inquiring minds, I didn't drop out, I didn't flunk out and I didn't get pregnant and disappear smh, I just took the road less traveled.  I am VERY thankful for these times though because it has given me a GREATER respect for people that successfully attain a 4 year degree but it also teaches me not a judge a book by it's cover.  There is A LOT of class of 09 that didn't make it and have no intentions of coming back.  As far as myself, I'm here and I'm NOT leaving without MY degree!  Even after everything that has happened, the tears that were shed and the injustice... I Love the Lord, I Love Myself, I Love My Family, I Love My Friends, and I LOVE UNIVERSITY of NORTH CARLINA at CHAPEL HILL!

11 comments:

  1. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11. Wow. I am humbled by your testimony. You are a living witness to God's power. Look at how many times the enemy tried to stop you...and you're still pushing. I admire you for your perseverance and long-suffering. Keep on trucking sis! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said...I love it & I love you! *Only warriors in my crew*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Shaddy...this almost has me at a loss for words...Out of all the people I have EVER known in my life, NO ONE has been through as much as you have and Ihate to say but if they did they would not still be here to tell the story. I love your honesty and willingness to share your story with us. My old mentor (who shall remain nameless) always said that a lot of the stuff we go through is to help somebody else later on. I believe that this story will help somebody whether they hear it now or five years from now. I have always admired your strenght and perseverance and I never told you but your strength has given me strength. I'm not as strong as you are and I KNOW if I went through half the stuff you have been through in such a short time I would have given up a long time ago. College is not an easy thing, but when it's all said and done and you have that degree with your name on it, it makes it all worth it. Love you and keep the posts coming! JMG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not even gonna try to get deep and throw the Word at you, because you already know that! I'm just proud that you decided to keep it moving IN SPITE of all of the difficulties...at first i thought that i was readin MY STORY at Carolina...i didn't finish in 4 years either...i quit with 6 CREDIT HOURS left to get my degree...so what does that tell ya? Plz believe that I almost got put out FOREVER and was facing CRIMINAL CHARGES!! If no one else understands, I DO!! Life hits you hard sometimes, but you're still pushing, and I tip my hat to you!! God will see you through anything, and when you do get that piece of paper, it'll mean the WORLD to you, because you'll remember what it took to get it! Hang in there luv!! With GOD, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I must say I love your blog!! (I've totally been secretly reading it)
    Second, I also had to drop out for a semester because of finances (but luckily had a crap-ton of extra credits before coming to college and immediately went straight to summer school following the bad semester, so I can still graduate on time). So, although I know you've been through a lot more, I understand how hard it is to have to apply twice to Carolina, especially for something like finances. I admire you for staying so strong and never giving up. But, I couldn't expect anything less from the great sade. On the last class of the year I plan on chalking in the quad about how it was hard to get to graduation, but I'm happy I chose Carolina. You should come with!!
    -Anika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speechless...I tip my hat to you Sade...Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx to BOTH Mo's for the encouragement lol I love you both :)

    JMG - u KNOW we go WAAAAY back lol Thank you for believing in me when i didnt believe in myself. Also for all the time we've been on the phone til 3 am catching up and you making me laugh for HOURS!!!! I'm stronger because of you :)

    Ms.Tarheel - thank you so much! People don't realize the journey they are signing up for by going to Carolina smh to whom much is given, much is required!

    Thank You Enri ... you were ALWAYS there for me at Kohl's and i appreciate your support!

    Roommate Y - Thank you SOOO much, as I stated, i don't even think ya'll (my callers) realized how much I feed off of ya'll energy! sometimes you all encourage me w/out saying a word! Thank You :)

    Rosalind - thank you, you've known me I was little so your support means to world to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Ms Lady, Sorry it took me so long to read your blog. What can I say that has not already been said. Regarding school, my take is, "it doesn't matter how long it takes you to get the degree, just as long as you get it." It may be a cliche,BUT WHAT DOESN'T KILLS YOU MAKES YOU STRONGER.

    LORI

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know you will make it!! Sometimes you have to go through hell to get to heaven. You are a strong person, and I know you will be successful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love Love.
    I did the whole thing with depression/anxiety, suicide attempts etc. You always seem so happy I never would of guessed it. You make phonathon that much more enjoyable.

    You (and your experiences) are more valuable than you know!

    ReplyDelete