Wednesday, October 27, 2010

30 Day Challenge .... Day 4

The Challenge: Day 04- A habit (s) that you wish you didn’t have

Well this challenge is right on time! After a couple talks I've been having with people ... apparently i have a few habits i need to do better with...

"The chains of habit are generally too small to be felt until they are too strong to be broken" -Samuel Johnson

1) I "burden" other people with responsibilities I should take on for myself.  ex: I'll tweet or text my friends to call me at x time ... i need to grow up and learn how to respond to alarm clocks ... it's not my friends responsibility to wake me up!


"The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half." -Feodor Dostoevski


2) I want people to "fish" for me instead of learning how to fish for myself. ex: one of my friends has been helping me with my budgeting skills/money management and instead of me learning the principles and being able to apply it to myself even after I'm making more money .... i want her to adjust and take time out her schedule to do it ... very selfish ... MUST STOP!


"The satisfied, the happy, do not live; they fall asleep in habit, near neighbor to annihilation." -Miguel de Unamuno


3) I'm spoiled/high maintenance ... not by material possessions BUT by people! I sometimes have outlandish expectations (not outlandish in the sense that i wouldn't be able to live up to the expectation myself - i only expect things from other's that i wouldn't mind doing myself for someone else) BUT I tend to stress the "wrong" things... examples:
a) my birthday ... i expect people to accommodate my birthday plans ... plain and simple
b) I expect somebody to cook if I'm hungry
c) I expect you not to leave if i ask/tell you to stay
d) I expect you to come visit my apartment shortly after i invite you
e) I expect you to be available if i need to talk ... drop the books please and thank you


"I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle. As a child I was taught what was right, but I was not taught to correct my temper. I was given good principles, but left to follow them in pride and conceit." - Jane Austen

4) I make up A LOT of excuses ... I mean I'm such a good liar, i can develop a whole story-line + laundry list as to why i haven't done something and you better believe that ... it's NEVER my fault! 


"Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."



5) I tend to look for the "Easy Button" or a "bail out" ... I try to find the easiest, most convenient way to accomplish MOST task and sometimes there isn't one soooooo I COMPLAIN until one of my friends does it for me. 


"We get so much in the habit of wearing disguises before others that we finally appear disguised before ourselves." - Francois de La Rochefocauld
 


soooo that was my laundry list of habits that (i'm currently working on) i need to change/get rid of in order to make myself better!!!!!  If I make myself better it'll put less strain on my friendships/relationships and that's always good b/c you SHOULDN'T burden the people that love you ;)


"Bad habits are easier to abandon today than tomorrow. " - Yiddish Proverb

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed with your maturity to take responsibility of your actions.

    ReplyDelete