Friday, September 24, 2010

"You Are What You ...... HEAR"

So, this past weekend I was in Greensboro/High Point visiting my family and celebrating the 98th bday of my great-great-great aunt (yes, my family has 5 living generations).  So after the party on Saturday, I spent the night with my cousin and spent the WHOLE Sunday with her!  She attends New Jerusalem Cathedral which is pastored by Dr. (Prophet) Kevin Williams.  I witnessed the ministry of Prophet Kevin Williams since I was 16 and I'd name him as a top 3 influential pastor in my life.  His church is WONDERFUL; it caters to ALL age groups and walks of life. (So if you're in the 336 and looking for a church ... go check him out!)
ANYWAY, while there he was preaching from Deut. 30:11-14.  http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=deut%2030:%2011-14&version=NIV And he was basically talking about how when God gives us a vision/plan/mission/commandment etc we often don't realize that whatever God has said to us is TAILOR made for us.  And because we don't fully understand this, we question Him (God) and seek other venues to validate what He has already said/confirmed.  Because we seek other places/people to confirm instead of seeking God for ourselves; people/appetites/etc can sometimes throw us off or make us miss the mark.  So Dr. Williams was teaching how to block ourselves from ourselves and to trust in God!
I said all that to say..... While he was preaching he went on a tangent about sin and he said something that has been stuck in my spirit since he said it.  He quoted Romans 10:17, “If FAITH cometh by HEARING.... THEN so does FORNICATION, LIES, MALICE ...SIN, so watch what/who you're listening too"!  For me it was the most prolific thing I had heard in a LONG TIME and I went ahead and took it a step further for myself.  Commercials tell us to watch what it eat b/c it can have lasting effects on our health.... Psychologists tell us to watch what we look at online, TV, etc b/c it can affect our subconscious and lead to nightmares and such.... Surgeon General says don't touch fire b/c it will burn... And we all know what a dirty diaper smells like soooo life teaches us NOT to go sniffing our nose in garbage bins and other people's business.  What don't we get taught often? What NOT listen too!  I'm as guilty as EVERYBODY else... if not MORE smh .... I walk around listening to Silk "let me lick u up and down", H-town "sum body rockin', knockin' the boots" on my itouch and YET I call myself trying to save myself until marriage .... yea.... NOT if I keep listening to that foolishness LOL. I'm not saying listen to Kirk Franklin, Mary Mary, etc all day, because I’m certainly NOT.  But what I am going to do is be more cognizant of what lyrics I’m filling my head up with between classes and riding to work.  The Food Pyramid displays how much of what foods we should eat to be healthy..... develop a music pyramid and balance out some of the "candy rain" with "I need you now" and see how it affects your life .... after all ... YOU ARE WHAT YOU HEAR!

8 comments:

  1. I'm very impress with your blog and it's true you are what you eat and listen too...Its very important to look for God for any questions or answers someone gives you...Never take their word for it...Look it up for yourself and ask God to give you clarity..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Very insightful.

    An old proverb teaches
    Hear no evil; Speak no evil.

    So I don't want to hear it.
    Talk to the HAND!!!
    Ms World

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome. Leave it to KW to say something that will stick with you forever...What you said about balance is so true. Since we are HUMAN and we are at an age where everybody is doing wrong it's only normal to want to take part in what everyone else is taking part in. That's why we can't be one sided because while we're killing ourselves to be "good", at some point we will break and who knows what will happen, lol. But if we keep that balance (not neccesarily an equal balance, maybe a 70/30) we won't be so tempted to give into what we are seeing, hearing, and thinking. That is all, lol

    JMG

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soooooo gooooood. specially the balance joint cuz i looooove me some Smoky Norful, but Lord knows I cant get enough of mr.steal yo girl lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! I actually had the same thoughts bc im debating having a dance team at my school, but im like "what the heck are these kids gonna dance to?" I clearly don't want to promote alcohol & drugs and having skills to do things with "no hands" lol so right now the dance team is tabled until I can figure out what would actually be appropriate for middle schoolers to dance to :/

    good blog tho! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You ALL soooo much for the support!!!!!!
    - @ Deandra ... i LOVE me some Kirk,Tye, and Smoky BUT Praise God for R.Kelly, Adele and Jodeci!
    - @JMG well just PREACH!
    - @Dez girl, you might as well start a praise team/classical dance team/jazz squad b/c anything else will have very "risque" lyrics lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snap Snap. Very well said Sade.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sade!! Love the blog!! I definately had to rearrange the playlists a little while back! Ya girl just can't listen to Plies...AT ALL...and anything else in which the metaphors are always sexually explicit must be in extreme moderation!!

    Side note: I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete